Oct 4, 2013

Chapter 7: Fatigue

Alright, it's good to be back.

It's been a craaazy september, now I am officially a NEET. Yup, done with the university and currently freeloading at parents' house. But the good thing is that I have more time to focus on this story and less time worrying about useless stuff.

And screw weekly update, I will update new chapter whenever I can. So it could be like 2 chapters in 3 days or in 3 weeks, depending on how my brain fuction and my typo.

Now, the story continues. Chapter 7 begins.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Phew" I sight in relief.

It took a while to show Thera through a few things around the house. She was definitely not acquainted with the commodities, which seemed really odd. My guess would be that she came from some kinds of countryside, or different country at least. She didn't know how to use the shower, or how to turn on the drier. So it was me who had to teach her how to use all the, girly things, awkward. But lucklily she's a quick learner.

Thera is taking the bath at the moment, and I will make use of the time to prepare lunch, though it's quite late to call it lunch, especially at 2 in the afternoon. Let's just make something quick and easy to digest, since I don't know what kind of food Thera would like to eat, and my cooking skill is quite limited. Keeping that in mind, I make two omelettes, stir some cabbage and boil a portion of porridge rice. If she doesn't like the food, I will at least try to make her drink the soup to keep her status from going worse. Nevertheless, it seems to be a difficult task I can tell.

Thiry minutes pass, and food is already finished. Thera should be done for now, I go upstair guessing she is waiting in the bed, silently of course.

-------------------------
"Why are you doing this?" The question echoed in my head.

Thera was the first to ask, when I was showing her around.

"Eh? I guess you're not familiar with my house so..." I didn't understand her intention.

"Why do you agree to shelter me? Given the fact that I'm a total stranger." 

"Oh that. Umm, you asked for our help so it's natural for me to..." I spoke whatever came up in my head.

Hold her tounge for a second, Thera murmured to herself.

"Natural? Is it natural for human to help each other?" The cold in her voice slowly froze the air.

"Ummm.... actually, I don't know, to be honest. But it's a good thing to do though, you know, helping your own kind." Why did I speak of something I didn't believe in?

"What if it was not your own kind seek for your help? Is it still a good thing if it unnatural? What was your true intention?" She kept on pressing the questions, which drove me further from the shore of my reason. I asked myself the same question, why did I do this? I could have done just like he told me, but why? why? This was not what I intended to to become. I wanted to become the one who would shake off any emotion, the one who would stand there, and watch... But I couldn't, because it was her.

"Actually, I don't know either. Back then I just felt like helping you, that's all." Guess that's much better than saying something like: "I saw you in my dream so it's my fate to help you." Much better.

"Let me make this straight" - I continued- "I'm not a nice person, but also not a bad one. So feel free to hold any kind of thought or judgement about me, I don't really care at all. But as long as you are here, please rest well and don't push yourself too hard. I don't know how to explain about a dead girl in my house okay?" I knew I couldn't let myself be too comfortable around her. At least his advice still had its weight.

Maybe surprise because of my change of pace, she cast her eyes into space. Then..

"You're not honest with yourself, I cannot trust you." With strong confirmation, she stated.

Keeping the straight face, I turned around.

"As I said before, keep the assumption to yourself. The bath is ready, you can go wash yourself. Your clothes can be put in that basket over there, I'll dry them later. Here's your new clothes to change. They're from my sister, but judging from your form, I think they'll fit." Putting the clothes down, I walked out of the room.

"Why are you doing this?" the second time this question was raised. Only the one who asked was different.

"Come on, I've told you already haven't I?" I was really tired of being questioned over and over.

"No, I mean why was that sudden change of attitude like that?" He was curious, definitely.

"That? what do you mean? Did I do something weird?"

"Don't play dumb on me. You know what I'm talking about right? At first you was like "here you go Thera", and then you was like "I don't really care about you". What are you, a tsundere or something?" 

"What? Sheez, didn't you tell me to be careful around her? I just acknowleged your words after all. Don't tell me you forget already." Yeah, I doubted that.

"My my, you've crossed the line long ago my friend. Just a little caution will not change anything. But at least, I can see you're improving." 

"Improving? at what?" I was curious. Could that guy be able to compliment someone?

"At stupidity level, you're less stupid now. You should be glad." He said happily.

"Well I don't know how to react to that." My expectation was too damn high.

---------------------------------

"Thera, lunch is ready." I knock the door.

No response. It's not a good sign.

"Thera" I know again, still no answer. It's really worrisome. She didn't look well from the beginning. If it happen she faints again, well... Guess I have no choice then.

"Excuse me, I'm going in." I open the door, slowly, in case of, you know, unexpected scene.

But all my worries was for notthing. She has already put herself to sleep. The clothes I gave her does fit her very well, and she look peacefully sleeping.

"..." Dazed for a second, I snap myself out immidiately. It's not right to keep stairing at a sleeping girl. Totally not.

"Eh, don't even have any funny idea, got that?" His voice sounds somewhat, I don't know, threatening?

"What do you think I am? I'm not that kind of person you know." A genuine anger when you're misunderstood.

"Well, I just warn you, don't have to go all gung-ho like that." That little shit, he keeps toying with me.

"Oh I get it. I will listen to her guardian then. It's a good thing to have somebody look after her too." 

"Hey, I'm not her guardian or something, you hear me? I just don't want you to.." He quickly disclaims, how amusing.

"Right right, I get it, you don't have to get all hyped-up like that. Chill down bro." I block his escape, consider this as my payback you ass.

"You..." He wants to say something really bad, I know.

"Okay okay, I was just foolling around." I should drop it here if I don't want to get some nasty revenge later on.

It was a quick lunch, just two of us. Thera's still sleeping and will not wake up anytime soon. She must be worn out. Outside, it starts to rain again. Just the beginning of autumn and it has already become quite cold and humid. The rain has last for 4 or 5 days, I can't even remember. It seems like the sky has sucked all the water from the ocean and pour them down to the land. And as if it's not enough, the northern winds raging continuously, bringing the breeze to make a typical picture of fall. It's always like that this time of the year. No yellow leaves, no cool winds, just rains and coldness. The weather change so sudden from summer to autumn that it would even make people who are not familiar with this climate sick. It goes like this: one day it's hot like hell, melty temperature in the morning. But just in the afternoon, you've worn your long sleeves already. Harsh as it is, I'm still okay with this weather, cause it makes me fall alseep very easily. Speaking of which, I feel a heavy weight put on my eyelids. After a long stroll under the rain, now a full stomach, I guess this is reasonable. 

"Well, it's been hell out of a day." 

With that spoken to myself, I lie down to the couch and slowly fall to sleep, forgetting all that happened. 

The last thing I remember is the number 15:01 showed on the clock.

-End chapter 7- 




No comments:

Post a Comment